Option driver enhancement

Felipe Balbi felipebalbi at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 4 11:26:44 UTC 2007

Hi Matthias,

On 10/3/07, Matthias Urlichs <smurf at smurf.noris.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Greg KH:
> > > Please contact me privately for details.
> >
> > Oh come on, don't tease us, let's know what could be done here on this
> > driver :)
>
> Well, you talked me into it ... here's my current list of interesting
> things to do to ^W with the Option driver.
>
> All of the following is of course open to discussion. If somebody has a
> good reason for saying that one or more of these enhancement ideas is
> bullshit, please don't hesitate to speak up.
>
> * The thing has no flow control whatsoever. Somebody should hammer
>   their device with data while online and check if it tells us to slow
>   down somehow. (This is, ideally, a job for somebody with a data
>   flatrate contract.)
>
> * ... except that it probably doesn't. In that case it might do the
>   flow control in-band, which could happen either using the venerable
>   ^S/^Q characters, or with flow control messages via multiplex mode.
>
>   At the moment the Option driver doesn't know what the hell a ^S
>   is or why it should care, and unless evidence shows up that it needs
>   to I'd like to keep things that way.
>
> * Multiplex mode, however, is independently useful. As the name implies,
>   it is a way to talk to more than one part of a GSM modem concurrently,
>   so you can do stuff like check the uplink quality (or send text
>   messages ;-) while online. It is entered with AT+CMUX; you may or
>   may not be able to leave that mode without physically powering down
>   the USB bus.
>
>   The OpenMoko people have written a kernel driver for multiplexing,
>   but that is still out-of-tree. I'd like that to get fixed.
>
> * The number and size of the USB buffers which the Option driver uses
>   are chosen very conservatively, so as not to overwhelm some of the
>   older cards which it supports. Needless to say, that means that the
>   driver can't keep up with UMTS data rates.
>
>   Its list of device IDs needs to be enhanced (in a blacklist-style sort
>   of way) so that the driver can pick the limits from there, instead of
>   having to use some sort of global pessimum.
>
> * ... or from a couple of module parameters, so that people can
>   test whether their device supports larger limits without recompiling.
>
> * Speaking of module parameters: Resurrecting the vendor=/product= thing
>   for the Option driver is something that I'm of two minds about. Yes it
>   means that you can quickly connect new devices, but on the other hand
>   people for whom that works tend not to send in patches for new device
>   IDs. Thus, in the long run even more users need to hack their
>   /etc/modules file for devices which should work out of the box. :-(
>
> * That list should carry some other info -- like, which of the three
>   endpoints that some of these devices export (see the current driver
>   for the mess *that* is) is the actual data port and which is the side
>   channel (or, when multiplexing, which channel corresponds to these --
> [...]

I could track down all the usb specific issues plus the sysfs you
wanna see. I'll be traveling on work during october but I'll still
have internet connection so during the trip I'll be studying option
driver and check what could be done on usb stack to make it work
better.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi