[3/5] USB and PCI video timestamp device project

Brandon Philips brandon at ifup.org
Tue Oct 2 22:41:38 UTC 2007

On 22:00 Mon 01 Oct 2007, Greg KH wrote:
> 	The company has a number of different PCI and USB video
> 	time-stamp devices that they need drivers written for.  To start
> 	out, the USB driver would be developed first, with the PCI
> 	drivers afterward.  The devices are very simple, however the
> 	userspace interface to the devices is quite complex and can use
> 	someone who knows how to properly design and implement these
> 	kinds of things well.  A "shim" userspace library might be
> 	needed to hide some of the device/bus specific things from
> 	userspace programs.
>
> Estimated skills needed:
> 	USB and PCI programming.  User/kernel interface experience with
> 	complex interfaces (ioctls, sysfs, configfs, etc.)  Possible
> 	userspace library experience also needed.
> 	This is not a good "first driver" type project.

Please sign me up.  I would like to take a shot at writing a user
space interface to a complex device from scratch- there just has to be
a better way than dozens of ioctls!  :)

It doesn't look like any mainline drivers (besides dlm) are using
configfs yet so it would be fun to see if it is a good fit for this
sort of thing.

Cheers,

	Brandon