Passmark USB loopback test plugs

Felipe Balbi felipebalbi at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 20 20:39:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 4:33 PM, Matthias Urlichs <smurf at smurf.noris.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Felipe Balbi:
> > Greg KH:
> > > My question is _why_ does it need to be a kernel driver, why can't this
> > > all be done in userspace instead?
> >
> > Using a sysfs interface (aka linux device driver), looks better to me,
>
> Umm, "looks better" isn't a reason we can have a discussion about.

quite extense, btw

> Why would you want to export any result from sysfs if a libusb program
> can collect the data directly? Given that "real" applications for "real"
> devices will want to move data from and to userspace eventually, a
> loopback test that doesn't even touch userspace seems to me to be kindof
> unrealistic and therefore of questionable utility.

this is also a matter of what you like better, kernel can handle all
test scenarios internally,
and in case of musb driver 'twas better letting kernel do it since i
had to play with
musb's registers in order to see the test running.

It wasn't just a matter of sending a control message and waiting for an answer.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi
felipebalbi at users.sourceforge.net