Passmark USB loopback test plugs

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Tue Nov 20 20:33:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

Felipe Balbi:
> Greg KH:
> > My question is _why_ does it need to be a kernel driver, why can't this
> > all be done in userspace instead?
>
> Using a sysfs interface (aka linux device driver), looks better to me,

Umm, "looks better" isn't a reason we can have a discussion about.

Why would you want to export any result from sysfs if a libusb program
can collect the data directly? Given that "real" applications for "real"
devices will want to move data from and to userspace eventually, a
loopback test that doesn't even touch userspace seems to me to be kindof
unrealistic and therefore of questionable utility.

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.